Wednesday, September 16, 2026

The Judge Is Not Customer Service

5E trained a lot of tables to treat the referee as hospitality staff. Keep the story moving. Soften the fall. Make sure everyone had a moment. If the world is cruel, you failed to curate the experience.

ACKS calls you a Judge on purpose.

You are not there to protect the campaign from the dice. You are there to let the world answer. The mortal wound table is a ruling waiting to happen. The market does not care about the party’s feelings. A henchman’s loyalty is not a friendship mechanic you fudge so nobody feels awkward. A domain turn is not a reward screen. It is a verdict on whether these people can actually run anything.

That sounds colder than it plays. A good Judge is not an enemy. A good Judge is the reason the gold, the scars, and the map mean something. If every failure is edited into a lesson and every treasure is sized for balance, you are back in the theme park. The players can tell. They stop bringing their own nerve.

I left games where I was expected to be a producer. I came back to a game where my job is closer to weather. I set the season. I apply the rules we agreed to. I do not apologize when winter arrives.

The Judges Journal is thick because the world is thick. You still do not need it on Monday.

You need the posture: stop selling them a plot. Start keeping the score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.